Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Girl in pigtails times four (now six!)

This particular pig-tailed girl with the windblown hair is so firmly associated in my mind with The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald that I was very surprised to find her also on the cover of A Sweet Obscurity by Patrick Gale and then again on the cover for the Italian translation of Floating in My Mother’s Palm by Ursula Hegi. The fourth cover, for A Far Country by Daniel Mason, features a different little girl, but the image is nevertheless very similar.




Edited to add:

Here are two more: My Soul to Keep by Melanie Wells and T’es pas ma mère (which literally means You’re Not My Mother) by Prune Berge (originally posted in this “similar covers” post).

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That is sure something...I loved The Way the Crow Flies by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first three are all the same. Thanks Avis. Please stop by my blog later on I have an award for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of any of these so I would have never found all those covers. I love these features and am amazed at how many images get reused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always amazed when you can connect covers like that. My eyes just aren't sharp enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure A Far Country is a different little girl? She looks the same to me her hair is just not braided. Good eye though! I don't think the copy I read of The Way the Crow Flies had that particular cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what the authors think when this happen. I think I would be kind of disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, if I were one of those four writers I think I'd be a little bit annoyed that the cover of my book wasn't all that original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not two, not three but four!! Eagle Eye Avis!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoo, it's really a bit late to be responding to these comments, isn't it! Thank you, everybody, for commenting.

    Ladytink, I don't know, I'm still not 100% convinced it's the same girl, but maybe it is!

    ReplyDelete