- Long: The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. At 480 pages this is only borderline long in my books, but I was having trouble finding a book over 500 pages in my TBR pile.
- Free: Between Friends: A Year in Letters by Oonagh Berry and Helen Levine. A friend gave me this book recently and I’m really looking forward to reading it.
- Dusty: A Candle to Light the Sun by Patricia Blondal. I was thrilled to find a book by a Canadian writer I’d never heard of when I bought this book years ago. It’s about time I read it!
- Used: The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett. I picked this book up for $1 at a recent book fair.
- Letter: The Story of Avis by Elizabeth Stuart Phelps. Not only is my name Avis but my blog name starts with an “s,” so this book is perfect for this category (and also happens to be a book I’ve had for years).
- Strange: The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer. OK, I’ll admit it, I mainly want to read this book because Joss Whedon is in the book trailer. I’m not usually that interested in either Superman or Cain and Abel, but hopefully I’ll enjoy the book anyway.
- Cover: Toward Amnesia by Sarah Van Arsdale. I bought this book primarily because the cover reminded me of another cover. I actually love both covers, so Tethered by Amy MacKinnon could be an alternate for this category.
- Alive or Not: A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. This book was shortlisted for the Giller Prize and won the Governor General’s Literary Award for Fiction in 2004. It has also been highly recommended to me.
- Distance: Made in Heaven by Adèle Geras. The author was born in Jerusalem, which is well over 1000 miles from Montreal!
Books read and reviewed for this challenge:
This list will be updated throughout the year.