Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear

Opening lines of the book:

“Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a plain manila folder.”

Why I read it:

I read Maisie Dobbs, the first book in this series, a couple of years ago and loved it, so I jumped at the chance to read the second book during the March Is Maisie Month read-along.

What it’s about:

The year is 1930 and Maisie Dobbs, who calls herself a “psychologist and investigator,” has just been hired by a self-made businessman to find his runaway 32-year-old daughter. When three of the daughter’s friends are found dead, Maisie must dig deep to find out what happened to these women. Is the missing daughter the killer or the next victim?

What worked:

Jacqueline Winspear gets two things very right in this series. The first is Maisie herself. I love Maisie. I love her intelligence, her reliance on her intuition and gut feelings, her belief that coincidence is “a messenger of truth,” the fact that she meditates and that she can tell how a person is feeling just by imitating their posture. The daughter of a costermonger, Maisie was sent into service at age 13; however, she has also been educated at Cambridge and served as a nurse in World War I. As a result, she is now neither “upstairs” nor “downstairs,” which gives her a unique perspective on the world.

The second thing that Winspear gets right is the historical setting. I didn’t know much about this period before I read these books, but Winspear does an excellent job of portraying the cost of the Great War on civilians, nurses and soldiers alike. She also manages to make all her characters fully human—I felt for all of them, including the “bad guys” and unsympathetic characters. Having read these two books, I feel like I have a much better idea of what it would have been like to be living in England between the two world wars.

What didn’t work:

Because I reread the first book in the series just before reading this one, I found myself a bit dismayed that the end of Maisie Dobbs, which is so poignant, is recapped so bluntly at the beginning of Birds of a Feather. Mind you, I’m not sure I would have noticed this if I hadn’t literally just finished rereading the first book before starting the second.

[MINOR SPOILER]
I also found myself somewhat annoyed with the possible-love-interests plot points in this book: while it’s pretty obvious what the men in question see in Maisie, it’s not so clear what she sees in them. I found her interactions with them to be totally lacking in chemistry. I can’t help but hope that romance doesn’t become the focus of any of the subsequent Maisie books!
[END OF MINOR SPOILER]

Favourite quote:

“While she walked, Maisie remembered feeling a prickling of the skin on her neck while she stood in the upstairs hallway of [—]’s house, outside the room where her body lay. She had not shied away from the sensation but had instead silently asked, What is it you want me to see? Never before at the scene of a crime had Maisie felt such a duality of sensation, like a fabric that on one side is smooth and satin-like but on the other, rough with a raised pile. She knew that the last person who had come to the house came with a terrible burden, a burden that was no lighter for having taken [—]’s life” (p. 61).

Final thoughts:

Since I read the first two books back to back, I can’t help but compare them and I do think I liked Maisie Dobbs more (especially on second reading). However, Birds of a Feather is more of a classic mystery than the first one, and it kept me guessing until the end (although I did figure out the significance of one element of the story before the final reveal). If you are interested in World War I and the Interwar Period or just want to read a mystery series featuring a strong and quirky female sleuth, I highly recommend the Maisie Dobbs series. I generally never read books in series back to back, but I’m very tempted to dive into Pardonable Lies right away—I can’t wait to find out what happens to Maisie next!
_______________________________________________

To celebrate the hardcover publication of Elegy for Eddie (book 9, out on March 27, 2012) and the paperback publication of A Lesson in Secrets (book 8, out today), Harper Books is sponsoring the first annual March Is Maisie Month, which includes a TLC book tour of all the books in the Maisie Dobbs series thus far.

Visit these blogs for other reviews of Birds of a Feather:

The Adventures of an Intrepid ReaderA Few More PagesWordsmithsonia [spoiler alert!]

For a complete list of bloggers participating in the March Is Maisie Month read-along, visit the TLC Book Tours site.

Other reviews:

_______________________________________________

18 comments:

  1. I did have a gap between reading the two books so I didn't notice the same thing that you did! In relation to the spoiler, I am not sure about either man, but I think it is more the possibility of moving forward that I liked.

    Thanks for linking to my review today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Marg, I'm all for Maisie moving forward. I just thought that her dates were not very interesting -- I didn't really see why she was interested in either man, frankly (or rather, she didn't seem to be genuinely interested in either man, so I wasn't sure why she was bothering to go out with them)!

      Delete
  2. Everyone seems to love Maisie, even my mother - I've got to try these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually come across a couple of people who didn't like Maisie Dobbs that much (Ana and Eva come to mind), but I do hope you enjoy them when you get around to reading them, Kathy!

      Delete
  3. I've heard so much about these books, I'm going to add them to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE to read the Maisie Dobbs books. Thanks for writing a great review!
    Beth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review -- I am eager to start this series! I'm reading one of the later books so I hope that doesn't spoil too much for me. Also, I know what you mean about reading books back-to-back and how that can ruin the oomph sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read the last Maisie book and liked it. I'm planning on starting at the beginning because there is a lot of backstory that I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one pretty soon after Maisie Dobbs, and I think I liked it more as a mystery. I still love the original, as the section of Maisie's youth and education was spectacular. I'm a huge fan of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review! This series sounds truly terrific, and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your review!! I'm being deluged with all things Maisie..now I must get my first book out and read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Maisie but I agree it helps to have a bit of a gap between one and the rest. She's a little different (no less wonderful) and it helps to have some distance. That being said I still love all things Maisie. And as for her love life, I really like where it leads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a mystery fan but I know how popular this series is. I see the books everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really must read this series at some point. I just love her name … and the book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really excited to start to this series - Maisie sounds like a wonderful character who I'd really enjoy getting to know.

    Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read any of the Maisie Dobbs books bout would love to. She sounds like a heroine that I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete