Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Similar Covers: Girl and Tree

I recently came across a book cover that I thought looked familiar; when I plugged Long Drive Home by Will Allison into TinEye, sure enough a lookalike popped up: Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. (Long Drive Home was just published in May by Free Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, while Mockingbird was published with this cover in February by Puffin, an imprint of Penguin Books.) However, I also discovered a third book with the same girl on the cover: When Daddy Comes Home by Toni Maguire (which was first published by Harper Element in 2007).



It’s hard to tell that it’s the same girl until you look at the original photos (courtesy of Getty Images):


Neat, huh?

10 comments:

  1. My cover of Mockingbird was an illustration, not a photo. The book looks so much more compelling with this new cover (even though there are others like it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't bother me when they use a different shot from the same session, but when they use the same photo, I have to wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me wonder how stock photography is ever going to expand if everyone keeps going to the same thing.

    As always you always amaze me with your detective work on covers. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The publishers need to hire you as their research department so they can find out which photos have already been used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New trend...I should've done this for a living! I swear they're just not very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't believe how you find this stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder where that little girl is now? Hopefully she has made some money since her image has been used so many times but I am guessing that only the photographer took the picture gets paid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat, indeed! I never would have recognized the girl with the different angle, especially with the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to read your comments. I noticed the book review for Long Drive Home, and it was driving me crazy about the cover. My classroom books are packed up for the summer, so I finally googled and found your site. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete