Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Similar Covers: Red Barn

I received an email yesterday morning from Monica, who blogs at Monniblog, pointing out this duo of lookalike covers: Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life by Brian Brett and Burning Bright: Stories by Ron Rash.



Trauma Farm, which won the 2009 Writers’ Trust Non-Fiction Prize, was published last year by Greystone Books, an imprint of D & M Publishers. Burning Bright was published earlier this year by Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins. Interestingly enough, it was mentioned in “21 of the Coolest Book Covers This Year” by Anis Shivani on the Huffington Post blog.

Although I like both of these covers, I think the juxtaposition of the white, turquoise, yellow and red on the cover of Burning Bright does make it more eye-catching. (Mind you, of the two, I’m more interested in reading Trauma Farm.) What do you think of these covers?

10 comments:

  1. They're obviously the same photo, but the different treatments give them different feels. Ron Rash is very popular around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these covers. There's just something about a red barn that makes me want to can something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one on the right too. This is the first time I've seen covers with chickens!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely! The Trauma Farm cover looks too out of focus or something, just looking at it give me a headache.

    Still, both are very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup! Looks like the same chick to me! Not only do I like these kinds of finds, but I really like red barns and chickens, too! Thanks for the fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the linkage.

    I recognized the image since I'm so familiar with Trauma Farm. Although, seeing them side-by-side, I'm inclined to agree about the turquoise and yellow being very complimentary to the red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed before books that have used the same photo. None come to mind at the moment but I know I've seen it. I agree with you the yellow and turquoise are far more striking. A big thank you for linking the article on book covers. I love a good book cover. I tell my husband one day I will have book cases where I can display books facing out so I can see their covers.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog and for letting me know about both these books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Burning Bright cover, too! You're right: it's the juxtaposition of the tones that's so visually appealing. Red barns are fantastic! I have a few near my home and always want to pull over and snap photos of them, especially in the fall mornings when it's foggy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when bloggers like you point out these similarities....very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like looking a similar covers too. In this pairing, I agree with you about the yellow and turquoise in Burning Bright, but I'm not as fond of the way two photos are joined to make one cover, so for that reason I like Trauma Farm's cover better. I've reviewed it on my blog: http://lindypratch.blogspot.com/2010/01/trauma-farm-rebel-history-of-rural-life.html

    ReplyDelete