Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Similar Covers: Blurry Figure in Red

I’ve found yet another pair of books with the same cover image (though cropped differently): A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel and Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant. According to Amazon, Mantel’s book came out with this cover in 1997, while Dunant’s was published in 1999.



A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I’d updated my Women in Black (Part 2) post—ironically, the latest addition to that trio was a different cover for Mapping the Edge! Here’s that trio again:

The Assignation by Joyce Carol OatesWhite Oleander by Janet FitchMapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant

I must admit that I don’t really like any of these covers, from either set. What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. This is just embarrassing -- why would they use similar covers for different books? I don't like the covers for the final 3, but I like the similar covers for the top 2. I wonder if the authors are aware of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, poor Mapping the Edge never got an original cover of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like any of these covers...they depress me for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like any of these covers much, either. But it is remarkable how you find such similar covers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only just discovered your blog but am entralled by your search for similar covers. I don't really like any of the covers, but despite that respond quite differently to them all which says a lot about what a font and the size of a photo can do... I especially dislike the Hilary Mantel which just seems weak and insipid to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these similar cover posts. This is one Mantel book I had not heard of so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am surprised to see Mantel and Dunant with the same covers as they are such well known authors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like any of the covers either, but the one that is the best out of all of them would have to be the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't care for either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the cover with the lady in black is really creepy. For some reason it reminds me of abuse, though I'm not sure why. Why would they pick that for a book cover, much less for three different ones?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love posts with similar covers, I never notice. White Oleander is an amazing read! I remember in Cegep and so many people in my classes were reading it, including me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like any of these covers either. I'm always amazed by how much the same images or very similar images are used on covers.

    ReplyDelete