Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Similar Covers: Women in Black (Part 2)

Here are two more exact lookalike covers: The Assignation: Stories by Joyce Carol Oates (published in 1996 by Ecco, a Harper Collins imprint, according to Amazon) and White Oleander by Janet Fitch (first published in 1999 by Little, Brown, a Hachette imprint, according to the author’s site). I’m always a bit surprised to find an exact match for a cover I recognize (such as White Oleander).

The Assignation by Joyce Carol OatesWhite Oleander by Janet FitchMapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant

These covers remind me of the second series of covers I featured in this “trio of similar covers” post. I can’t say I really like any of them (maybe because this is such a vulnerable-looking pose?). What do you think?

Edited to add:
I’ve found a third cover that features the same image, which I’ve inserted above: Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant. Again according to Amazon, Mapping the Edge was published by Virago in the UK in 2004.

10 comments:

  1. I'm surprised when I see exact matches like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see someone's back turned towards me I immediately think shame...especially when they are hanging their heads like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent detective work!!! I don't really like this cover for some reason...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are way too similar. I wonder why they do that?

    Emidy
    Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought exactly what you said before you said it: "Finally, a cover I actually recognize!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not struck by lightening. It's just a cover. She's also doing a mundane task. Maybe that's why the cover seems dull.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen either of those covers, though I've read both books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not crazy about either one; something artless about that picture. Artless and kind of unappealing, the way she's bent over a little. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I like the second one better. I'm surprised that a book by a famous author, and an Oprah pick would have the same cover. I'd think that they'd be a little more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I just thought she was zipping up her dress and her head was bent forward to keep her hair away from the zipper. I've always had long hair so I can understand that. I was only surprised to see that she's not wearing any underwear!
    Which is probably the real point of the shot. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete