Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Similar Covers: Reflections

I was a bit shocked to come across these two oh-so-similar covers with oh-so-similar titles while browsing the Fantastic Fiction website recently. Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin and Playing with Matches by Carolyn Wall are not only both due out this year (in May and July, respectively), but they are also both being published by Random House!


To be fair, it seems like someone caught on to the duplication because Playing with Matches now has a new cover, according to Amazon (and the author’s site).

For another post about similar covers that resemble these two, see also Cover Curiosity: Seeing Double over at 100 Scope Notes.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah... I can see how one could be easily mistaken for the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they caught on because their titles are so similar, I'm sure they would have been confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One can only wonder... What were they thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe they couldn't be a bit more creative...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! When I looked quickly, I thought maybe you had accidentally put twice the same picture. The photograph is the same, but the fonts and the title placement are also extremely similar! I am really glad, for both authors, that they changed one, or I am sure readers would have confused the two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah ... those are a little too similar. I'm wondering if they changed the cover for the one because they were so close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's pretty bad when the same publisher does this and so close together. It's good someone caught it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that could have been a major snafu. I guess there's no telling when two different publishers are going to choose the same stock image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes you wonder if they just mixed up the titles too!!! I think the publishing houses should hire you as a watch dog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed this a lot. How frustrating for the authors who have no control over the design of their covers.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. When an author buys a cover, the artist is suppose to remove it, and most of the time does. It will be interesting to see how many others times this does not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I just found your blog. This is great! Do you still blog? Or, do you review on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those two covers are so similar it is very strange. I am glad the publisher caught it and found a different cover for one of the books.

    ReplyDelete