Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Similar Covers: Apple Behind Back

I have another foursome of copycat covers for you this week, all of which use the exact same cover image: The Visitor by Maeve Brennan, Sex Wars by Marge Piercy, The Looking Glass by Michèle Roberts and The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy. According to Amazon, both The Looking Glass and The Visitor came out in 2001: the former was published in July by Henry Holt while the latter came out in October with Atlantic Books. Sex Wars was published in 2006 by Piatkus Books. I couldn’t find any info about this particular edition of The Woodlanders. My favourite of these four is definitely The Visitor.


I have also found three other covers featuring a woman holding an apple behind her back: You’re Not You by Michelle Wildgen, That Scandalous Evening by Christina Dodd and The Evidence Against Her by Robb Forman Dew.

6 comments:

  1. Great post! The covers where she's using two hands to hold the apple look awkward to me - my favorite is The Evidence Against Her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My publisher chose a cover design for my next book which used the same image as a book written by an author I know. Ouch! We sometimes sit on panels together at literary festivals. The image faces the opposite way so I wonder if we should do joint book signing events, sitting back to back? I haven't told my fellow author yet, and think my publisher may change the image as I pointed the similarity out to them. There is a similar problem with book titles. Whenever I think of a brilliant title I find it has already been used many times before!
    (Sorry for the deletion - I had a typo which made gibberish of my comment. Not a good advertisement for my skills as an author...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The visitor is definitely the best one..very creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbelievable! You have set of quadruplets, and a set of triplets--all in the same "family"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I had no idea how often this happened. There must be a shortage of good photos out there? And apparently publishers are way into fruit LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fave meme by far. You always amaze me with the covers discoveries.

    ReplyDelete