Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Similar Covers: White Dress

This week I’m featuring another pair of books that use the same cover image: Tender Grace by Jackina Stark (which was published in early 2009 by Bethany House) and The Threadbare Heart by Jennie Nash (due out with Berkley, a Penguin imprint, in May 2010). I don’t like the green tinge on the first cover, but I do like the wider cropping better (although the font and placement of the text on the second book are definitely more attractive). Even though I like both covers, I also find them a little generic—they don’t really stand out. What do you think?


10 comments:

  1. They aren't bad looking covers, but then I don't think they'd really stick out at me at the book store. They're almost too colorless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Neither one is particularly striking, but I do enjoy the one on the right more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they stand out much either. All the same, they'd stand out quite a bit if they were stacked up next to each other! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really not a fan of stock images like this being used with so little inspiration. I appreciate the green tinge (maybe to make it appear different?) but from the standpoint of personal preference, I'd be more likely to pick up the Jennie Nash book with the all-white cover. But then, I'm really not a fan of the loopy script they chose for the title. I think a soft and flowing cover image is offset well with bold and angular lettering, but maybe that's just me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you ... I like the second cover better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good catch! I'm always impressed when people point out the same stock photo on cover. I also must cast my vote for the second cover -- but I don't mind a crisp looking pale cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the one on the right...it's weird how I'll scope out covers now because of your similar cover feature!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I like the green cover, b ut I like the typ used on the white one. But neither really says Read Me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're pretty even though, like you said, I think them a bit generic. I prefer the second one, I think everything comes together more beautifully.

    ReplyDelete