Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Similar Covers: Fried Eggs

I’m not the only one obsessed with finding lookalike covers, and back in June of last year, PopinFresh, who blogged at the now defunct (and deleted) blog, Popin’s Lair, posted two covers she’d found that featured an egg in a frying pan: This Is Your Country on Drugs: The Secret History of Getting High in America by Ryan Grim and Strange Nervous Laughter by Bridget McNulty. Well, I recently found a third, so I just had to re-post all three: The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-Being by Nena Baker.



It seems that fried eggs are now doomed to be associated with negative things (drugs, nervous laughter, toxic products), a result no doubt of the “This Is Your Brain on Drugs” ad campaign (do you remember it?). You can watch the original PSA here.

10 comments:

  1. When I see an egg I think "life" but I guess that's my glass half full mentality.

    I'd love to sit-in on a book cover selection meeting just to hear how the decision comes about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of that old commercial about this is your brain on drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I craving eggs all of the sudden?

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, they are damaging the reputation of the egg as part of a nutritious meal. lol

    Thanks for this post. It was very interesting. Maybe you should do a meme or something. Food for thought? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do always think of that PSA when I see a fried egg. It was memorable if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using a cookie cutter mold to make a friend egg! (not that this is the central message of your post, but still, a great idea anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ti, I'd so love to sit in on a book cover selection meeting too!

    Kathy, the first and last cover are definitely referencing that ad!

    Lenore, I can't say these covers have that effect on me!

    Bookventures, I'm not sure this type of post would work as a meme, but feel free to let me know if you ever find any similar covers!

    Jenners, yeah, it was definitely a memorable ad! However, I don't remember ever seeing the Rachael Leigh Cook version where she smashes the egg and then the whole kitchen with a frying pan.

    Jill, I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right, it is a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment back at my blog. If you want another book with an egg on top try 'Breakfast with Socrates' - it's a great cover

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lucy! If anyone's interested, the cover for Breakfast with Socrates is here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, sorry Lucy, I forgot to bold your name!

    ReplyDelete