Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teaser Tuesday (October 27): The first rush of an airplane ride

Teaser Tuesday buttonShould Be Reading hosts the Teaser Tuesdays weekly event.

My modified rules are as follows:

Grab your current read. Pick two or three “teaser” sentences more or less at random from the book, anywhere on the page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your teaser from… that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given! (Please avoid spoilers!) (Read the official Teaser Tuesday rules.)

This is actually my sister Brogan’s teaser:

“Once in a while, however, my parents bought takeout from a Mexican restaurant a few miles from our home. . . . I don’t remember any of the other food. The reason I don’t remember the other food is that their salads were so damned good . . . The dressing was tart and puckery—my mouth always bunched around each bite after I took it in. The oil base beneath it was rich and slithery, like nothing I had ever experienced. And there were layers of taste after the vivid sharpness of the first bite. It tasted like the first rush of an airplane ride, when the wheels lift off the ground” (p. 34).

This is from Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back and How You Can Too by Shauna James Ahern.

Brogan’s comment to me regarding this excerpt was: “It made me think a lot of things are like the first rush of an airplane ride, as in, that moment when you lift and feel half-elated, half-heartbroken, like you might burst into tears at the sheer miracle of being alive.”

(I love her statement at least as much as I love the excerpt she chose.) What is like the first rush of an airplane ride for you?

11 comments:

  1. Now that's a teaser to make one hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books. Shauna's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...now that sounds yummy! Thanks for the teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that book! Mine is here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/10/coppola-pediatric-surgeon-in-iraq.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since I hate flying, my answer to your question would be nothing good. Interesting teaser, makes me hungry (though it doesn't help that it's dinner time).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree w/ Myckyee. . .plane rides usually make my stomach sink. :) However, I love the tease. It's always hard to write convincingly about food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I am not officially gluten sensitive, I do have to say I feel better (more energetic) when I go gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful I don't have this problem!! Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a terrible diet to have to follow. Great teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic teaser -- and a really great quote from Brogan!

    That airplane-ride feeling is fantastic... totally unparalleled. That's how falling in love feels, I think... the uncertainty, the trepidation, the overwhelming excitement -- and the fear of being so incredibly vulnerable!

    ReplyDelete