Thursday, October 22, 2009

Library Loot: More graphic novels (October 22)

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva at A Striped Armchair and Marg at Reading Adventures that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post—feel free to steal the button—and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! Want to share your loot? Marg has the Mr. Linky this week!

OK, I guess it’s official now, I am obsessed, because I’m still only taking out graphic novels from the library. (The fact that I own 500+ unread books, none of which are graphic novels, might also be influencing what books I’m borrowing, but anyway.) So here’s this week’s loot:




First off, I found Persepolis 1 and 2 by Marjane Satrapi, which was a pleasant surprise because every time I’ve checked before, all the copies have been out. These are in French, so this is only half of the story (it was published in four volumes in French).

I also got Maus: A Survivor's Tale — And Here by Troubles Began (vol. 2) by Art Spiegelman. I loved the first one, so I have no doubt I’ll love this one too.

Finally, I picked up La Perdida by Jessica Abel, a graphic novel I hadn’t heard of before, but which looks really good.

Because I could only take four graphic novels out (there’s a 10-book limit on graphic novels at my library and I still had 6 at home), I also read two more while I was there:


Aya de Yopougon 2 and Aya de Yopougon 3 by Marguerite Abouet and Clément Oubrerie are obviously the follow-ups to the first volume, which I got out of the library last time.

15 comments:

  1. I am surprised to hear they put a limit on graphic novels at your library. They all look really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I realized before that Persepolis is a graphic novel and I hear about it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved, loved, loved Persepolis! I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to read a graphic novel one of these days. I can't believe I have NEVER read one (I know, hard to believe)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Persepolis and hope you do too. I've had Maus on my wish list forever - I need to break down and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read a graphic novel. I think oit is because I did not like comic books wither as a kid..LOL

    enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I was going to be all like, how fun to read it in its original French, but then I remembered that you're in Quebec, so it's not unusual, and in fact, French may even be your native language, so it's not like, oooh I'm going to try reading it en francais, or anything. Anyways, I couldn't do it as my French is terrible. 5 years of it and I can't understand a damn word anyone says. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So??? What did you think of Aya 2 and 3? (I can't get them at my library)--or are you going to post a review?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of La Perdida before either, but it does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maus 2 is even better than Maus 1, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked persepolis 1 more than 2. and then i liked Maus better than Persepolis. hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just so you know, the second volume of Maus is very different from the first, both in style and in tone. I'm not sure I agree with those who like it better (I was away on vacation for a month with only volume one of Maus and one other book, leading to several rereadings. It definitely changed how I viewed the book) but there's no doubt that it's something else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're quite a graphic novels fan. I have to give them a try one day again. I did try reading them a few years back but they weren't my things. Maybe this time it'll go better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO jealous your library as 2 and 3 of the Aya books! *pouts* lol I think I might give Atrapi a go here very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Persepolis 1 and 2 were my first graphic novels ever and I was so surprised by how good they were!

    Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete