Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays (April 14)


Should Be Reading hosts the Teaser Tuesdays weekly event.

My modified rules are as follows:

Grab your current read. Pick two or three “teaser” sentences more or less at random from the book, anywhere on the page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your teaser from… that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given! (Please avoid spoilers!) (Read the official Teaser Tuesday rules.)

My teaser:

“‘Don’t cry!’ a mother says to her toddler when the string on his bright helium-filled balloon escapes his chubby fist and the treasure bobs off among the treetops, although crying seems the most sensible response to such a loss. She means only to comfort him, of course, and quiet his sobs; but by using the imperative, she has issued a command. ‘I’ll get you another,’ she reassures him, as if something so magical, so quickly and dearly loved, could be replaced without a second glance” (p. 106).

This is from A Troubled Guest: Life and Death Stories by Nancy Mairs.

7 comments:

  1. I remember those carefree days of losing helium balloons!

    My post is up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! A new Nancy Mairs to request!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) reminds me of when we wrote notes and sent the balloons off to see if anyone would answer them.

    Here's my Teaser from The Red Leather Diary! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What parents just don't understand . . . Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great teaser...if only everything in life was as easy as replacing a helium balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great teaser. It takes a person back to the days when things like that were so important and lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody, for your comments.

    Brogan, I didn't realize you had read Nancy Mairs' books (or I'd forgotten). I'm enjoying this one so far!

    ReplyDelete