Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Similar titles...

Other book bloggers have posted about books with the same or similar covers. Alea at Pop Culture Junkie has done a series of posts on lookalikes; Katherine at A Girl Walks into a Bookstore calls her series “cover deja-vu.” Lisa at Books on the Brain has also commented on this phenomenon, as have I. But what about books with very similar titles?

I’ve noticed two in the last short while:



The Smart One by Ellen Meister sounds pretty similar to The Smart One and the Pretty One by Claire LaZebnik...





And just this morning I came across a blog that mentioned Shooting the Moon by Frances O’Roark Dowell and I had to double-check the title of Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts because I thought they were exactly the same...


Obviously, it’s not unheard of for books with the same title to be published; however, these are books that are being released at around the same time!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning me! I never thought to consider similar titles good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alea. These ones genuinely confused me, much as the similar covers did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avis, that is so funny because I had to double check the Shoot the Moon/Shooting the Moon thing too.

    We must have been reading the same blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a double-take on that one because I'd just received Shoot the Moon, so I knew for a fact it was written by Billie Letts, but here was someone taking about another book with seemingly the same title...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does get confusing. I could easily think that it may be the same book. I was disappointed when I learned of the same covers-I always thought they were unique to the book they were representing but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar titles have recently baffled me as well. I was trying to remember a YA book I read years ago, and I could have sworn it was called Enter Three Witches, but the only book I could find (by Caroline Cooney) had a completely different plot. Thanks to some helpful people over on Librarything, I found out that my book WAS called Enter Three Witches, it was just by Kate Gilmore. :-) Now they're both on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean, Dar. It must be kinda awful to be one of those authors whose book doesn't even merit its own unique cover. At the same time, I can't help but be fascinated by posts about similar covers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lana, when I thought of writing this post, I figured there must be other examples out there! Thanks for sharing yours and I'm glad to hear you found the right book (plus another one that might be interesting too!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Avis, I LOVE this post! I just blogged about it today and included a similar book cover that I've found!

    http://bookopolis.blogspot.com/2008/10/lookalikes.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sheri! I'm off to check out your post now...

    ReplyDelete