Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Similar Covers: Boy and Girl Reading in Canoe

I can often count on finding at least one familiar cover among LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers books, and this month’s batch was no exception. Safe Within by Jean Reynolds Page (Harper Collins, 2012) is about to be published with a cover image that has been used at least three times before, on the following books: Book Crush: For Kids and Teens—Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Interest by Nancy Pearl (Sasquatch Books, Mar 2007), Songs of Ourselves: The Uses of Poetry in America by Joan Shelley Rubin (Harvard University Press, Apr 2007) and Toolkit for Teachers for Literacy by Diane Hood Nettles (Pearson, 2006).




I can’t say that any of these covers seems particularly interesting to me—there’s a blandness about them that would probably not inspire me to pick them up. (Nancy Pearl’s book might be the exception as it’s about reading and meant for teens, so the cover works quite well, but obviously is not meant for me.) What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. None of them are terrific, but I like Safe Within the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized, Kathy, that I hadn't looked at the four covers closely enough to note their differences until I read your comment. I agree, I like Safe Within best too because of the way they've made the water the whole top of the cover, which is a lot cleaner-looking than any of the other covers. Still, I think it's too generic for my taste.

      Delete
  2. I am surprised at all of these lookalike covers. I shouldn't be, but I am. What has happened to originality?

    You have been missing from my blogroll (along with many other blogs) but are back now! For some reason, I lost my blogroll when I switched to a custom domain a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of these inspire me either but they do make me think of warm weather and that makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to agree, the first one has the most appeal. I might pick this up and see what it was about because it has an outdoorsy scene on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one that looks halfway attractive to me is Songs of Ourselves (although that title leaves a lot to be desired too). They all are pretty bland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny! I agree. The Pearl book makes the best use of the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really care for the covers that much either...not very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least the image is a new one for this series!

    ReplyDelete